Philmont Scout Ranch Trails Map
Created By: mhinch
Last Updated: March 17th, 2014 12:03pm
West: -105.25° East: -104.9°
Country: United States
State: New Mexico
Most Popular Maps
Other Maps By mhinch (See All)
NOW INCLUDES BOTH BASECAMP AND DIRECT DOWNLOAD FILES. SEE README INSIDE DOWNLOAD BELOW
This is the output of an ongoing project to capture the official trail network at Philmont Scout Ranch outside Cimarron, NM. The project is very dependent on the community supplying GPX traces and other forms of input and/or getting them added to openstreetmap.org
The map is now essentially complete! All known trail segments that are used by treks (approx 230 segments) are mapped. But, we're not done! Each year Philmont adds and subtracts camps and sometimes even trails. We need your help to keep this map up to date. See below for how to help. And if you find something wrong, misleading, ... please let us know -- you could be saving hundreds of future fellow trekkers a lot of trouble!
PLEASE HELP WITH THIS PROJECT!
If you have traces from your GPS that may be of assistance, you have two choices:
- If you want to send me your GPS traces I will add them as time allows. Please send them to mhinch-ptrails (at) hinchfamily.com Please note that it may take me a few weeks to add your data. Also, I would greatly appreciate it if you sent me only traces for trails not already added to openstreetmaps.org, but ultimately I'll take anything.
- If you want to add your traces directly to openstreetmaps.org, please go ahead!! My method is:
- GPX traces are collected from prior Philmont Treks and perhaps edited using other tools
- Use JOSM to "convert to data"
- simplify the track (Tools->Simplify)
- bring up "Bing sat" (at least) as underlying imagery
- check that the traces follow trails as seen (if possible) on Bing Maps, camps line up, ...
- do any final checking against Philmont maps
- tag trails as highway=path, camps as tourism=camp_site, other interesting points (e.g., B-24 wing) as tourism=viewpoint
- upload data to OSM
Note that these tag values are very important. Only these tag values will be extracted for inclusion in the map provided here! Also, I'm interested only in "official" trails -- please do not add ranger trails, roads, ... that a conventional Philmont camper would not use.
FYI - I will then periodically extract info from OSM using osmosis and mkgmap to create the map here. Please check the "last updated" date in the information block at the top of the screen.
The map provided here is "transparent", meaning it can be loaded on top of other (e.g., topo) maps. It is provided as an "img" file that can be directly placed on a Garmin device in the Garmin (or Maps) folder.
I welcome thoughts about other ways to process this data, things to add, problems with the map, better processing to make it more usable, ... Send me email with ideas about how to make this more useful to my fellow Philmont trekkers.
Things to do - if you would like to contribute, aside from the obvious contribution of GPS tracks of Philmont trails, please consider:
- amending the "Description" of each camp with more info: Program, trail/dry/staffed etc.
- locate and add new camps for 2014: Metcalf Station, Chase Canyon, Hawkeye Camp, Little, Costilla, Hellfire Canyon, Horse Canyon, Chase Canyon, plus the new Chase Canyon Turnaround
- add (new?) trail from Indian Writings to Chase Canyon Camp and on to the Chase Canyon Turnaround
Lastly, if this map is of interest/use to you, please let me know! Are you planning on using it this summer? Did it work well? Can you suggest any changes?
Download Windows Version [469kB] (5041 Downloads)