Created By: fortchagos
Last Updated: January 22nd, 2024 2:01pm
West: -105.314° East: -104.868°
Country: United States
State: New Mexico
Most Popular Maps
- My Trails-High Quality Trail and POI Maps
- Arizona Topo
- World Topo - Eastern
- Florida Topo
- World shaded relief kmz
Other Maps By fortchagos (See All)
Custom map of Philmont Scout Ranch using Open Street Maps data. This map is up-to-date as of March 2022 and has a similar look and feel to the paper maps. See the readme.txt file for installation information for Garmin Base Camp and for copying to Garmin devices.
A PDF tutorial for using Garmin Base Camp to create Philmont itinerary routes is included in the zip file.
Garmin Base Camp Installation (this is a free application).
1. Download Base Camp from https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/basecamp/.
2. Install using the instruction on the Garmin download page.
3. Configure Base Camp to best use the map following instructions in the tutorial PDF document.
There are two versions of the Philmont area map in this distribution - a hillshade only and a hillshade plus contour lines (40 ft minor, 200 ft major).
Garmin Base Camp (must already be installed on your computer):
Primary map installation method for Garmin Base Camp
1. Copy OSM-PHILMONT-GARMIN-MAP-YYYY-N.zip to where you would like to install. Note the installation does not move the map files but leaves them in the folder they are installed from. Do not delete the installation distribution folder.
2. Unzip the distribution file. This will create a OSM-PHILMONT-GARMIN-MAP-YYYY-N directory.
3. Change into the unzipped directory and then into the OSM-PHILMONT-DISTRO folder. Here, there are three directories.
OSM-PHILMONT-HILLSHADE-MAP - Hillshade only install folder.
OSM-PHILMONT-CONTOUR-MAP - Hillshade plus contour lines install folder.
Garmin - Contains the map IMG file ready for copying directly to a Garmin GPS. (see instructions below).
4. To install the maps into Base Camp:
a. Change into the desired install folder.
b. Run install.bat in the install folder as administrator.
5. Start Base Camp. The maps will appear under the Maps menu.
6. Do not delete the installation folders as they are linked into Base Camp from the installation location.
Alternative map installation for Garmin Base Camp
1. Copy the Garmin folder to the root folder of a USB thumb drive or SD card.
2. Startup Garmin Basecamp. It will automatically find the map IMG files which will be available under the Maps menu. This method requires the USB thumb drive or SD card to be connected to the computer when Base Camp is in use.
GPS Device Installation
To install the maps on a Garmin GPS, copy the map IMG files in the Garmin folder to the X:\Garmin folder on your Garmin GPS unit (the X represents the USB drive letter). Simply connect the device via USB cable to your computer and copy the desired map files to the X:\Garmin directory on your device (or Garmin directory onto an installed memory card). Use the Garmin map setup controls to activate the desired map. You may have to disable other maps depending on how the maps are layered on your device. On the map screen:
- Select Menu
- Select Map Setup
- Select Configure Maps
- Scroll up or down using the Enter button to select and deselect the desired maps. Only the Philmont shaded or contour map should be on at any time.
To uninstall, first shut down Base Camp. Change into each installation folder and run uninstall.bat as administrator. Once completed, you can remove the installation folders.
More details about this map can be found in the Open Street Map Wiki.
Copyright and License
The production of this map has no affiliation with Philmont Scout Ranch. Please do not contact Philmont with questions about this map. Crews hiking Philmont should ultimately purchase and rely upon the official printed maps available from Philmont Scout Ranch.
Download Windows Version [18MB] (574 Downloads)