Philmont Scout Ranch Trails Map
Created By: mhinch
Last Updated: June 1st, 2020 12:06pm
West: -105.26° East: -104.9°
Country: United States
State: New Mexico
Most Popular Maps
- My Trails-High Quality Trail and POI Maps
- Arizona Topo
- World Topo - Eastern
- Florida Topo
- World shaded relief kmz
Other Maps By mhinch (See All)
NOTE for 2020 Treks:
Thanks to the input we've received from Philmont Trekkers via GPS tracks, this map has been very accurate for several years and it has now been updated for 2020. However, we ALWAYS need info from trekkers that have actually been there recently - send us any kind of updates, error reports, etc! Always consult official Philmont maps for your trek!
July 9, 2019 Update: Trails added to some of the newer, outlying camps. My thanks to chachafish, Stara Zagora, fortchagos (and probably others!) for OpenStreetMap updates to Philmont. Also thanks to those who have uploaded traks to ridewithgps.com.
June 2017 Update: Many changes made to the map especially distinguishing between single track trail (aka path) and double track (aka track) with thanks to Dennis Brown who added all that info. Philmont will sometimes route you on double track (usually abandonded 4WD roads). The trail was always there, but now you can see the type of trail somewhat better, hopefully allowing more confident navigation. I also made many small changes. However, one camp was almost a mile off of it's actual location. Please: someone MUST have noticed that! PLEASE LET ME KNOW ABOUT ANY ERRORS OR IMPROVMENTS!
NOW INCLUDES BOTH BASECAMP AND DIRECT DOWNLOAD FILES AND ALSO GPX AND KML FILES. SEE README INSIDE THE DOWNLOAD
This is the output of an ongoing project to capture the trail network at Philmont Scout Ranch outside Cimarron, NM. The project is very dependent on the community supplying GPX traces and other forms of input and/or getting them added to openstreetmap.org
All known camps and trails have been located and mapped here as of the 2020 Treks book. If you find any missing, please let me know. You'll be saving a lot of campers a lot of trouble!
All known trail segments that are used by treks (approx 230 segments) are mapped here. But, we're not done! Each year Philmont adds and subtracts camps and trails. We need your help to keep this map up to date. See below for how to help. And if you find something wrong, misleading, ... please let us know -- you could be saving hundreds of future fellow trekkers a lot of trouble!
PLEASE HELP WITH THIS PROJECT!
If you have traces from your GPS that may be of assistance, you have two choices:
- If you want to as time allows. Please send them to mhinch-ptrails (at) hinchfamily.com Please note that it may take me a few weeks to add your data. Also, I would greatly appreciate it if you sent me only traces for trails not already added to openstreetmaps.org, but ultimately I'll take anything.
- Alternately, if you want to add your traces directly to openstreetmaps.org, please go ahead!! My method is:
- GPX traces are collected from prior Philmont Treks and perhaps edited using other tools
- Use JOSM to "convert to data"
- simplify the track (Tools->Simplify)
- bring up "Bing sat" (at least) as underlying imagery
- check that the traces follow trails as seen (if possible) on Bing Maps, camps line up, ...
- do any final checking against Philmont maps
- tag trails as highway=path, camps as tourism=camp_site, other interesting points (e.g., B-24 wing) as tourism=viewpoint
- upload data to OSM
Note that these tag values are very important. Only these tag values will be extracted for inclusion in the map provided here! Also, I'm interested only in "official" trails -- please do not add ranger trails, roads, ... that a conventional Philmont camper would not use.
FYI - I will then periodically extract info from OSM using osmosis and mkgmap to create the map here. Please check the "last updated" date in the information block at the top of the screen.
The map provided here is "transparent", meaning it can be loaded on top of other (e.g., topo) maps. It is provided as an "img" file that can be directly placed on a Garmin device in the Garmin (or Maps) folder.
I welcome thoughts about other ways to process this data, things to add, problems with the map, better processing to make it more usable, ... Send me email with ideas about how to make this more useful to my fellow Philmont trekkers.
Things to do - if you would like to contribute, aside from the obvious contribution of GPS tracks of Philmont trails, please consider:
- amending the "Description" of each camp with more info: Program, trail/dry/staffed etc.
Lastly, if this map is of interest/use to you, please let me know! Are you planning on using it this summer? Did it work well? Can you suggest any changes?
Download Windows Version [2MB] (14129 Downloads)