Philmont Scout Ranch Trails Map
Created By: mhinch
Last Updated: April 17th, 2013 9:04pm
West: -105.25° East: -104.9°
Country: United States
State: New Mexico
Most Popular Maps
Other Maps By mhinch (See All)
NOW INCLUDES BOTH BASECAMP AND DIRECT DOWNLOAD FILES. SEE README INSIDE DOWNLOAD BELOW
- If you want to send me your GPS traces I will add them as time allows. Please send them to mhinch-ptrails (at) hinchfamily.com Please note that it may take me a few weeks to add your data. Also, I would greatly appreciate it if you sent me only traces for trails not already added to openstreetmaps.org, but ultimately I'll take anything.
If you want to add your traces directly to openstreetmaps.org, please go ahead!! My method is:
- GPX traces are collected from prior Philmont Treks and perhaps edited using other tools
- Use JOSM to "convert to data"
- simplify the track (Tools->Simplify)
- bring up "Bing sat" (at least) as underlying imagery
- check that the traces follow trails as seen (if possible) on Bing Maps, camps line up, ...
- do any final checking against Philmont maps
- tag trails as highway=path, camps as tourism=camp_site, other interesting points (e.g., B-24 wing) as tourism=viewpoint
- upload data to OSM
- amending the "Description" of each camp with more info: Program, trail/dry/staffed etc.
- On the trail connecting the B-24 wing to the Beaubien-Webster Pass trail, missing 500 meters west from stream bed
- Cito Turnaround north (via many switchbacks) to trail junction leading to Harlan and Ute Springs (no 2013 trek use this trail)
- Iris Park - we have no trails in/out of this camp (2013 Itinerary 10, 17)
- Dean Heck - we have no trails in/out of this LNT camp (2013 Itinerary 25)
- Slate Hill Heck - we have no trails in/out of this LNT camp (2013 Itinerary 25)
- Apache Springs Camp west to Philmont boundary, then north to Crooked Creek Camp (2013 Trek 21)
- Trail connecting Lost Gap Camp and Deer Lake (2013 treks 4 and 25)
- Trail Canyon Camp/Turnaround and the trail roughly SW from there to Dean Cow (2013 Treks 6)
For 2012, there are new turnarounds not yet mapped: Trail Creek, COPE.
For 2013, some more new camps: Beatty Lakes and Middle Ponil, both in Valle Vidal. Got Lat/Long?
Download Windows Version [237kB] (2653 Downloads)